My Blog List

Powered by Blogger.

Followers

I'm a Mormon.

Saturday, March 26, 2011

ThIs WeEk At WoRk....

When I first moved to Utah, almost 6 years ago now, it took me a little by surprise how ingrained the Church is into everything. I know it shouldn't have been that strange or surprising but it was. It took some time to get used to overhead pages for "any available LDS Elders" to give a blessing or something, or having Sacrament meeting in the Chapel every Sunday. It was strange to have patients getting blessings and not having to explain things like why I would have to change wards if I moved. But soon it didn't seem strange any more and it felt normal and comfortable. It also was nice to feel the Spirit at work more often. I was able to have some fairly unique experiences that were strengthening to my testimony.

Well moving to North Carolina has been a change. I love it out here and I love our ward and the people that I work with but for the first time in 7 years or so I am not surrounded by LDS people all of the time. In fact I'm in the middle of the Bible belt. And that is awesome. There are so many good people out here. People who really believe and want to follow Our Savior. There are good Christians and I have felt very welcomed considering that Baptists, who are a strong segment of the Christian population here, notoriously don't like Mormons.

Well this week at work I had a truly Spiritual Experience. Something that I haven't had at work for a long time. We had just gotten a patient on our table to start a procedure. This patient was one who really needed what we had to offer. And what we were doing for this patient would truly save their life. (As a side note, all the procedures we perform in an EP lab are considered "elective", and most of the time people could go on living for quite some time without us, but on occasion we have patients who can't keep living without us. Their hearts have stopped sending the appropriate signals to beat every second or so and they need a pacemaker or their heart is so sick that with out one of our devices or ablations they would go into a rhythm that stops their hearts. This was one of those cases.) The patient was sick, and was obviously nervous about the procedure. The patient got situated on the table and asked "Who's the preacher here?" one of our CRNAs quickly grabbed the patient's hand and asked what name he went by and one of the other staff members joined hands with the patient and the CRNA started to pray for him. It was simple and full of faith. It was slightly different then the Mormon standard format I grew up with but it called on our Heavenly Father by name to help this man and all of us to have the skills we needed to help him and for the patient to have the peace he needed for the procedure. He closed in the name of Jesus Christ and the Spirit was so strong. I got a little teary even.

This experience strengthened my testimony of prayer and that our Heavenly Father hears all of the prayers of His children, no matter what church they attend. It also reminded me that the Spirit comes as the Comforter to those who have faith and need him. It was a beautiful moment to watch the faith of my coworkers in action. I love moments like that at work. I know that most people can have spiritual moments at work but I think that nurses get the most. I think it comes with the territory of working with people who are in a very vulnerable state. I have been blessed to be a small part in some of the most major events in my patients lives. I been there for the births of their children. And for the death of their spouse. They are some of my most cherished moments from the last 10 years. And this weeks experience reminded me that no matter where I work, good faithful people are there who love and trust our Heavenly Father just like I do.

4 comments:

  1. I Love this post! Thank you for sharing this experience. I wish I was in a situation in my life where I could experience things similar to this... It's just 'different' in Utah. Sure miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this Cari! This is so awesome! Definitely not something we see enough of or get to be a part of very often at work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you guys liked it. It was a really nice moment for me too. I miss Utah so much but there are some benefits to getting outside of the bubble ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such a great story. We all need more moments like that.

    ReplyDelete